This was a typical Colts - Titans game where it seems not to matter what they respective records are, usually the outcome is decided as this one was, by a FG.
All indications are that this is the last time we will see Jeff Fisher on the sideline for the Titans. I think he is one of the best coaches in the NFL and I will be glad to see him out of the division. Hopefully he leaves the AFC altogether.
Some thoughts about this game:
- Dwight Freeney lined up at defensive tackle in some passing situations with Keyunta Dawson playing the RDE position. This allowed Freeney to try his spin moves against the left guard - who typically has less lateral quickness. It may be that they were trying this out for use in the playoffs, or just trying to get into the heads of their next opponent.
- The Titans primarily played man to man coverage all game and we had problems with it. Expect to see lots of man coverage for the rest of this season. The loss of Collie and Clark hurts us here the most.
- Garcon struggled all day to get free against the man coverage of the Titans. Other than one long touchdown catch, he was not getting separation.
- The offensive line continued their improved play. Manning had time to throw for the most part and we had some nice runs from the shotgun formation.
- The defense has picked the right time to peak. They allowed virtually no running room for the Titans.
I'll be posting short updates all week and hopefully will have a full blown preview of the Jets game up later in the week.