Ordinarily I would say that you could expect him to start from day one at LT; but with the current labor situation I don't see him getting the coaching that he would need to step right in. I'm sure that Manning will do a great job organizing the offense for the duration of the lockout/foolishness, but I doubt Manning is going to be teaching Costanzo how to slide and punch.
As for the talent of Costanzo, I'm not really excited about him. Based on the film I have seen of him:
- Very Smart
- Good size (6'7", 308 lbs) with some room to put on more weight
- Good character guy
- Better than average movement skills
- Pretty good blocking downfield for the run (good for the stretch and screens for sure)
- Does not play with power
- Plays high in the run game and frequently loses contact with his assignment
- A bit slow out of his stance at times
- Prone to being bull-rushed
- His height and lack of natural knee bend make him vulnerable to Robert Mathis-style small rush ends.
You really see his lack of power in pass blocking against a strong DE, he struggles against rushers with good rip moves. Looks light up top with somewhat narrow shoulders.
This may seem critical, but he does not measure up to the top LTs in the league in the areas that matter most.
He looks like a mid 2nd round pick in most drafts.
All that said I do expect him to be a upgrade for the Colts and to be a long-time starter. This is based on what we have already and the style of offense the Colts play.
We have had some bad timing in the draft the last few years:
When we were desperate for a running back to replace Edgerrin James, we were stuck with a thin draft for running backs and ended up with the shockingly average Joseph Addai.
When we were desperate to replace a departing Tarik Glenn, we were stuck with a thin draft for Offensive Tackles and ended up with the mechanical and passionless Tony Ugoh.
And now with us desperate to replace the busted out Tony Ugoh, again we have a weak draft for Offensive Tackles and we end up with the bright but flawed Anthony Costanzo.
Lets hope this works out. Just the fact that he actually cares about football puts him miles ahead of Ugoh.