I saw where one blog said it meant the end for Donald Brown - but this makes no sense. Carter is a 1st and 2nd down back. Brown is a 3rd down / scatback type. Clearly Carter is not being brought in to replace your 2009 1st round pick - right?
All that said - I don't like this pick at all. Based on the tape I watched, he looks decidedly average.
When evaluating running backs, I do not look at their long runs and say wow. I look at how well the running play was blocked and I see if the running back gains more yards than what was blocked for.
- Better than average balance
- Good vision
- Seems intelligent and thoughtful (based on interviews I watched)
- Nice, compact solid body
- Quick feet
- Despite his size, is most often brought down by first tackler. Does not run with power
- Prone to breaking runs to the outside, whether it is a good idea or not.
- Not a receiver
- Not much of a blocker
- Does not possess a "4th gear"
I would not be surprised if he does not make the team; I certainly do not see much production from him. I think they got him to push Addai and Carter's future depends on how Addai reacts.